Tuesday 5 June 2018

Read to Self (KA)

Today, instead of 'Book Look' time, I introduced the Kiddos to 'Read to Self'. As a group we discussed what we thought this would look like, sound like and feel like. We even practiced finding a good reading spot by ourselves. When it was time to begin, I showed the Kiddos a new basket of books and told them they would be able to read these books. I had a few side glances and looks of disbelief, but we chatted about what a good reader would do (1st, look at the pictures, 2nd, look for chunks, 3rd, look for popcorn (sight words), 4th, sound it out). I explained they would pick two books from the basket and one from the library, go to a good learning spot and see if they could read their book. It wasn't long before I saw smiles and and even some shouts of joy "I read the whole book!" These books are CVC (consonant/vowel/consonant) and are easily decoded. I find by starting with this style of books, I am able to build confidence in the Kiddos which is often the hardest step in helping them to become readers. If you are curious about these kinds of books, stop by anytime, or I can show you at the Family Literacy night next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!! We love to hear your comments!